[Shorewall-users] The future of Shorewall

Tom Eastep teastep at shorewall.net
Fri May 27 21:05:45 PDT 2005

As most of you already know, I have decided to terminate my involvement with
 the Shorewall project. Many of you have written to me expressing concern
about the future of Shorewall and some of you have offered to help in
various ways.

I'm sending this post to assure you that Shorewall is not going away and
that capable people are commited to ensuring that Shorewall continues.

Paul Gear has stepped forward to lead the effort to ensure Shorewall's
future. I have complete confidence in Paul and trust that all of you will
give Paul your full support and cooperation.

The base of operation for Shorewall is moving from my server to Sourceforge.
The web site (http://shorewall.sf.net) and CVS repository
(http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=22587) have already been migrated.

Ron Shannon has volunteered to host a new Shorewall development site at
http://devel.shorewall.net. The content of that site will be expanding in
the coming weeks.

established to announce changes to the CVS repository at Sourceforge.

Cristian Rodriguez has volunteered to be webmaster and to maintain the
Shorewall documentaion. Cristian has been busy over the last several days making
web site and documentation updates that I have neglected over recent months.

As always, Mike Noyes will provide valuable assistance at Sourceforge as the
new Shorewall team learns to navigate the Sourceforge maze.

We are still working out the plans for moving the mailing lists to
Sourceforge. For now, both the mailing lists and the master rsync server
will remain here at my home; the mirror sites that choose to continue to
operate will be able to get updates in a timely fashion from my site. Mirror
operators should monitor the development list for further news regarding
rsync hosting.

Write access to the CVS repository at Sourceforge will be tightly
controlled. Write access to the documentation and sample configurations will
be granted on a case by case basis. If you feel that you need such access,
contact Paul.

For now, Paul will retain sole write access to the Shorewall code base in
CVS; if you have patches that you wish to submit for inclusion in the
standard release, please post them on the Shorewall Development list and
Paul will give them his careful consideration.

Two other Shorewall stalwarts, Alex Wilms and Jerry Voneau have volunteered
to keep the support fires burning (as has Cristian Rodriguez). I encourage
each and every one of you who know something about Shorewall to contribute
your free time to helping others on the User's List. I assure you that I
will not be there racing you to answer people's questions ( :-) ) and I
think that you will find that helping other users solve their problems can
be a very rewarding experience. Plus you can sharpen your own Shorewall
skills in the process.

I am very optimistic about the future of Shorewall and I trust that each and
every one of you will give the new Shorewall team your complete support.

With warmest regards,
Washington USA  \ teastep at shorewall.net