[Shorewall-users] Re: Port redirection on standalone pc to pop3 proxy AV scanner

Paul Koufalas paul.koufalas at senet.com.au
Mon Jul 4 05:39:42 PDT 2005

G'day Cristian and Paul (and everyone else),

I just wanted to close this thread off. I now have p3scan working with
shorewall and clamav on my standalone linux laptop. I originally had in
my /etc/shorewall/rules

DNAT net fw:127.0.0.1:8110 tcp pop3

(or equivalently, REDIRECT net 8110 tcp pop3) but what I actually needed
to have was

REDIRECT fw 8110 tcp pop3 - - - !clamav

I'm running the p3scan daemon as user clamav, and have changed uid/guid
on /var/spool/p3scan and /var/run/p3scan frrom p3scan to clamav--as user
p3scan I was getting permission denied when calling clamdscan. So

shorewall + clamav + p3scan

is a working configuration. Clamav + p3scan must be popular as config
parameters are given in the ClamAV FAQ. Though p3scan also supports
spamassassin, I'm happy enough with Thunderbird's spam filter.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers,
Paul.