AW: [Shorewall-users] Shorewall and OpenVPN woes

Files files at poetryunlimited.com
Thu Sep 23 09:41:20 PDT 2004

Thanks for pointing that out, Graham.

I found that out the hard way when I first started using Shorewall - I could
have really used this list then. I didn't know it existed. Ugh.

The things you wish you had known.

Anyway - to clarify - w/o briding, shorewall works like a champ for me.

Personally, I went one step further and created a signalling system from the
apache error trapping pages (/error) to log all attempts to hack my webserver
(nimda et al) by detecting regex's - when they're detected, a file is dropped
into /tmp/shorewall/drop and a corresponding file is dropped into
/tmp/shorewall/lock. The lock file identifies the drop file to process.

fam is watches /tmp/shorewall/lock for drop requests.

Drop requests get logged to gdbm and a "shorewall drop" is executed for each
IP address - quarantined as it were.

Every hour via cron, the dropped IPs are reinstated unless they have made too
many attempts to hack in which case they get permanently put into the
blacklist. So every hour the blacklist is autogenerated.

Also, I have it set up so that I have an admin interface to allow me to
identify IPs to always ignore, IPs to always block, and to also create the
patterns to look for.

All in PHP - works like a champ. I love it. That's why I want to stick w/ it
w/ my VPN setup.

A cron job makes sure that "drop" is always running (checks like every minute).

I wish there was an easier way to do something like this but I haven't had
time to explore shorewall nor do I see any real database capabilities that can
be triggered. So I'm relegated to using apache to do that part.

So - hopefully I will have a working VPN w/ shorewall as my firewall when this
whole process is done.

Thanks again Graham.

P.S. Do I need to post my config files or anything?
--
Shamim Islam
BA BS