[Shorewall-users] bridging and internet

Nicolás Echániz nico at rakar.com
Sat Sep 4 17:39:48 PDT 2004

Tom and all.

After you asked about what version I was using, I checked the Bering
distro and found that it was not updated to shorewall 2.x, so I decided
to move to Bering-uClibc, which seems to be more up to date.

I installed it and configured everything according to your instructions,
but I was still unable to get shorewall to start in this kind of
configuration.
It failed with error:
"No chain/target/match by that name"

I kept googling for info till I found this page (in Spanish)
http://www.aconcagua.cl/wordpress/

The guy had been trying to do something similar to what I'm doing for a
while without success, till he found out that Bering and Bering-uClib
don't load the ipt_physdev module by default, and don't have them on the
boot disk image.
He installed and loaded the module, and it worked.

So I did the same thing, looked for the module inside the modules file
Bering-uClibc_2.2.0_modules_2.4.26.tar.gz.
Found it at /2.4.26/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/

I added to /etc/modules the line ipt_phys, rebooted and it worked like a
charm.

Well. I hope this helps other guys with the same problem.

Tom, maybe you could add a note to your http://shorewall.net/bridge.html
document warning Bering and Bering-uclib users about this issue.

I'm writing a howto for other fellows in my community network.  It will
be available at: http://wiki.buenosaireslibre.org/HowTos_2fBridgedFirewall
It's in spanish but if you think it would be helpful if I wrote an
english version as well, I will.

Thanks for your help and for developing Shorewall, it's a great product.

Best regards,

Nicolás Echániz