[Shorewall-users] strange problems with satellite router

Info * HI-Lab info at hi-lab.net
Sun Mar 21 16:50:18 PST 2004

I have this situation

LAN
CLIENTS----switch---eth0-LinuxBox-eth1----ViaSat_Satellite_Router---satellite_connection

The linuxbox is an old pentium pc.
The viasat linkstar satellite router is a standard DVB system
(http://www.viasat.com/vsat/linkstar/) with a normal ethernet connection
to linux box.
There is a full bidiretional satellite connection (512/128).

In LinuxBox I have shorewall with "all to all drop" default policy.
This configuration worked so good for much time with a Cisco Isdn
Router. Now I changed only ip address of eth1 to adapt configuration to
Satellite Router.

All works good, BUT many times in a day the connection stops and freeze
for 5/10 minutes. After all continue to works again.

I tryed to explore system logs but nobody may change in this minutes.

Nothing can restart connection before 5/10 minutes. I tryed to restart
all services.
But if I restart shorewall all works good again immediately.

Please help me to understand what kind of problem is this.
Why this?
There is some special setting of shorewall for satellite connection?

Thanks so much.