[Shorewall-users] OT: Bill Gates and Paying for E-Mail

Cowles, Steve steve at stevecowles.com
Fri Mar 5 17:41:46 PST 2004

Tom Eastep wrote:
> Am I the only one thinking that this proposal has less to do with spam
> than it does with curbing Open Source Software development by making
> mailing lists such as these expensive to operate?
>
> -Tom

More like Microsoft twisting (stealing) an Open Source idea and turning it
into a revenue stream. Sound familiar?

FWIW: Take a look at SPF. To me, this is a "conceptually" similar approach
to what Microsoft proposes. In fact, Microsoft actually mentioned SPF in the
"references" section of their Caller-ID proposal. Although it was the last
page.

http://spf.pobox.com/intro.html

Steve Cowles