[Shorewall-users] shorewall 2.0.3a, (ULOG) doesn't log anything

Tom Eastep teastep at shorewall.net
Fri Jul 23 11:20:29 PDT 2004

Martin Sarsale wrote:
> Dear all:
>
> Im using shorewall 2.0.3a (debian) w/ ULOG. shorewall starts ok, and the
> firewall is running, but nothing is printed on the logs.
>
> I try, for example, to do a connection to a port that is opened on the
> server but closed by the FW and I get a connection refused. If I stop
> the firewall, this port is accesible from the outside.
>
> I think I've followed all the steps on
> http://shorewall.net/shorewall_logging.html :
>
> 1) I've installed ulog 0.97-1, and configured it so it logs on
> /var/log/ulog.log
> 2) I've modified each appearance of "info" to "ULOG" in my config
>
> st3:/etc/shorewall# grep ULOG *
> policy:net              all             REJECT          ULOG
> policy:all              all             REJECT          ULOG
> shorewall.conf:LOGUNCLEAN=ULOG

That option isn't even in the 2.0.3a shorewall.conf (or at least it
isn't in the one that *I* released).

> What's going on here?

If you "shorewall status | grep LOG" do you see rules with ULOG as the
target?

> btw, when I run "shorewall check" I got a msg telling me that it's
> deprecated. what should I use instead?

The message doesn't say that "check" is deprecated -- is says "Don't
complain if "check" doesn't find all of the errors in your configuration".

Washington USA  \ teastep at shorewall.net