[Shorewall-users] rpm updates

Karsten Bräckelmann k.braeckelmann at davision.com
Wed Apr 21 05:19:56 PDT 2004

> >> Do i need to tell shorewall something?
> >
> > No. Packages are not responsible for their own updates!!!!
>
> I think you missunderstood. MandrakeUpdate is checking what is installed
> in the box where it is running against a server somewhere and installs
> whatever new package there is on that server. Probably using some port.

I am sorry, but you seem to not understand.

MandrakeUpdate is just a small tool to check, whether there are updates
provided my Mandrake. Mandrake, like any other distribution, will only
provide updates to released versions of their distribution, if they are
security relevant or fix otherwise important issues.

No distributor will release updates (especially to old versions of their
distribution) if later versions don't fix the issues mentioned. For
example new versions with added features likely won't be updated. [1]

FWIW: No important fixes in the Mandrake shorewall package, no update.

You can easily get the latest shorewall package from shorewall.org or
the mirrors and upgrade manually. (Don't forget the --nodeps option, as
package names differ).

 karsten

[1]  Sure, some highly user visible packages may be updated, even if
they add features only -- but the system remains stable.

--
Davision - Atelier fuer Gestaltung / Internet / Multimedia
 UNIX / Linux Netzwerke und Schulungen