[Shorewall-users] Re: Re: Overnet and Shorewall

Tom Eastep teastep at shorewall.net
Fri Oct 24 14:51:04 PDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-10-24 at 09:37, Tom Eastep wrote:

> This page describes how people can download something you've published
> without being able to connect to you. The key is that published files
> are copied to the node whose 128-bit id most closely matches the 128-bit
> ID of the published file.
>
> 	http://www.overnet.com/documentation/how_on.html

Another possibility is hinted at by the firewalling page on the overnet
site (URL posted previously):

        With Overnet other clients need to be able to connect to you. If
        you are Firewalled you will be able to connect to Open clients,
        but two Firewalled clients will not be able to connect to each
        other. This means that many possible file sources are not
        available to those who are Firewalled.

This suggests to me that you can still publish if you are firewalled but
another firewalled user won't be able to download from you and you won't
be able to download from another firewalled user.

Washington USA  \ teastep at shorewall.net