[Shorewall-users] Getting past "net unreachable" message(s)

ether bunny ethrbunny at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 10 23:18:21 PDT 2003

calling "arp -na" from the shorewall system *did not* show the any of the
NICs installed on that machine. It showed several connected machines.

calling "arp -na" from a machine in the local zone showed several machines
in the local zone including the shorewall system. The MAC address of the
shorewall system matches the NIC that is the default gateway.

Im assuming (naively) that 'arp -na' doesn't show the interfaces on the box
calling arp but rather those of interfaces connected to that machine (via
lan). At least thats what appears to be happening here.

>Do you mean the 'gateway' that is defined as the default gateway to the
>Shorewall machine or do you mean the MAC of the Shorewall machine's
>local interface? If the former, then something is really wrong with the
>network configuration since I assume that the 'gateway' isn't on the
>same LAN segment as the local zone systems.

I mean that calling 'arp -na' from a machine in the local zone shows several
addresses of connected systems - one of which is the NIC acting as the
default gateway on the shorewall machine. In no instance does 'arp' show the
NIC's in the box from which 'arp' is called.