[Shorewall-users] Sequence of Loading bit me

John Andersen jsa at norcomix.dyndns.org
Mon May 12 21:34:30 PDT 2003

While installing Shorewall on my laptop which also runs vmware I found
that the default sequence that SuSE 8.2 decides to load shorewall
can cause some problems.

When running samba on the firewall (to support vmware in this case)
nmbd bails out if it can't find any interfaces, and it won't find interfaces
untill both vmware and shorewall are running.

   VMware has to be loaded before samba so that the vmnet(x)
   interface is found.

   Shorewall also might have a problem if one of its interfaces is
   non-existant (especially with the "detect" parameter), so  I had
   to load vmware before it as well.

The sequence I ended up with was
  network
  vmware
  shorewall
  nmdb
  smbd

This might not be so picky if I let the vmnet
interface be routed while stopped (routestopped) but
I didn't want to do this, and if shorewall is not running
nmbd bails out complaining of no interfaces.

TOM... Somewhere on your page I thought it said you
used vmware.  Did you find this to be something you
have to tweak?  Is there a FAQ on it?

This discovery also pointed out why nmb was failing on my
main server at the office, but that gets re-booted so seldom
that I failed to dig deep enough.

--
John Andersen - NORCOM
http://www.norcomsoftware.com/