[Shorewall-users] Log parsers that work with shorewall ?

Leslie Hazelton seawolf at attglobal.net
Fri Dec 19 11:15:46 PST 2003

Axel Westerhold wrote:

>On Thu, 2003-12-18 at 02:39, Leslie Hazelton wrote:
>

>>I would like to have a good log parser for my shorewall firewall.
>>Specifically, I want detailed reports on iptables blocked packets,
>>including date and time. I saw the list in (FAQ-6a) and got a copy of
>>logwatch because Tom said it was the one he chose.

-- snip --
Hi there,

>the last time I had to deal with this for a customer I decided to use
>ulog and mysql. It is fast, easy enough to install and there are various
>ways to get an idea where, when and why packets got dropped/rejected. I
>think it is a really flexible solution.
>
>Axel Westerhold
>DTS Systeme GmbH

There was another suggestion in addition to this one, for "fwanalog".

http://tud.at/programm/fwanalog/
http://freshmeat.net/projects/fwanalog/

I appreciate the suggestions, but both tools look like much more than I
want/need.  My requirement was driven by responses from various
"abuse at nnn.sites "  which refused to look into problems without an
inline ASCII report which included source IP, port, date and time.  The
tool I was using did not produce such a report.

For my small site, 6 systems with no external visible servers, I decided
to hack a version of the logwatch "kernel" service to produce just the
following report which should satisfy this requirement.