[Shorewall-users] linux not accessible through VPN

Tom Eastep teastep at shorewall.net
Wed Dec 17 11:15:16 PST 2003

On Wednesday 17 December 2003 10:48 am, mrmailer wrote:
> Well, I don't think it's multiple zones, is it, at least not in the way
> specified on the page(192.168.x.? and 192.168.x+1.?), because to the linux
> machine, this should just appear as another local machine pinging it,
> right?

The article deals with routers/VPN servers in the local zone and goes on to
discuss when you need multiple zones, when you don't and options for
configuring those zones.

> I don't need the linux machine to be able to access the other
> machines through the vpn, only the linux machine to be accessible itself
> through the vpn, if that makes sense.

Uh -- packets have to go in both directions; for the linux machine to be
accessible "through the VPN", the machines on the other end of the VPN must
be accessible from the linux machine. Does the Linux box have a route through
the VPN server to the remote system?

Washington USA  \ teastep at shorewall.net