[Shorewall-users] Two-interface setup confirmation

Paul Trevethan elist at pacific.net.au
Wed Dec 17 18:39:00 PST 2003

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 10:33:43 -0500
"Chris Baker" <cbaker at bbbscentralohio.org> wrote:

> I'm just wondering. Why are you moving away from SuSE?

I presume you mean why am I moving away from SuSEfirewall2?

Personal ability to learn I guess. I just find Tom's implementation of
zone use conceptually much easier to understand to do what I want to do.
Just allowing my internal Samba to work on the local network  for example,
I got lost in SF2 allowing specific port numbers, but I can do quite
readily in Shorewall.

I don't think there is anything wrong with SF2, I presume they are as
powerful as each other, but, as a very inexperienced user in this area
and not knowing how to thoroughly test (www.grc.com does not count), I
want to feel comfortable that I have not left gaping holes in my setup. I
just get a stronger feeling of "it works" with Shorewall. That's all.

Paul.