[Shorewall-users] Newbie list question ? Or not ?

Bill.Light at kp.org Bill.Light at kp.org
Thu Dec 4 15:20:28 PST 2003

On Thu, 2003-12-04 at 14:00, Scott Merrill wrote:
> On Thursday 04 December 2003 04:35 pm, Tom Eastep wrote:
> > > I guess I can go try various options....
> >
> > This is exactly why I get so tired of answering questions. We've just
be
> > through a two-day marathon on this list talking about people who don't
> > read the documentation and you conclude that rather than reading the
> > documentation (http://www.shorewall.net/Documentation.htm#Masq)
> > yourself, you should:
> >
> > a) Ask on the list; and if that doesn't work
> > b) "I guess I can go try various options...."
> >
> > I'm so discouraged.....
>
> Hi Tom.  It's been a long time since I've participated on the list, but
this
> is something I'd like to address.
>
> I've noticed in my lurking that a great many people post to the list in
the
> same "style" they'd use in a verbal conversation.  Something like "go
try
> various options" is a pretty nebulous statement, and it doesn't actually

> preclude reading the documentation again.

I could buy that argument if the proposed /etc/shorewall/masq entry that
the OP posted was syntactically valid -- it wasn't which means to me
that little or no reading was done BEFORE the reply was posted.

Especially when a workable entry is so obvious:

                 eth1            eth2

Tom -

As the latest "discourager" for you - I'm willing to reply, rather than
hide or un-subscribe...

The original entry above was EXACTLY what I tried, and it did NOT work.
Something that I did, caused all traffic - including my local LAN to route
Internet browsing through work...not a desired result.  I did have a
working configuration, but with SuSE's impending "Discontinued SuSE Linux
Distributions (7.3)"  (which was announced today) when I hard disk died, I
used the current release (SuSE Professional 9.0), as well as the "current"
Shorewall (which was 1.4.7c at the time I built the box).

I have not claimed it's the fault of shorewall, I have read and re-read
all six examples (you can count them if you think I didn't already look)
as well as the comment lines in the file /etc/shorewall/masq   itself. If
it had worked, I wouldn't have posted the question to begin with.  I'm not
so proud that I wouldn't post it to the newbies list - I chose this list,
exactly because it didn't work as it had for me before and the examples
were NOT working for me...

Which is why I say "I can go try various options"   I was NOT attempting
to discount your answer or trying to be lazy, my wife goes crazy with
Shorewall Documentation sitting next to the bed, because that has become
my night time reading.  To aggravate matters, everytime I try to do this
one little suggestion or a tidbit I pick up - if it blows me out I can't
get to it until 9 or 10 that night.

I wouldn't expect you to run every version and distro of Linux out there,
and, by your posts, you have shown yourself to be Red Hat - I happened to
have chosen SuSE.  But there appear to be enough differences that it
sometimes interferes with what may seem trivial to you.

I apologize for the "discouragement" and aggravation and I'll stick to the
newbie list for posting.

- Bill
The Sufficiently Talented Fool