[Shorewall-users] Newbie list question ? Or not ?

Scott Merrill smerrill at finelinegraphics.com
Thu Dec 4 17:00:28 PST 2003

On Thursday 04 December 2003 04:35 pm, Tom Eastep wrote:
> > I guess I can go try various options....
>
> This is exactly why I get so tired of answering questions. We've just be
> through a two-day marathon on this list talking about people who don't
> read the documentation and you conclude that rather than reading the
> documentation (http://www.shorewall.net/Documentation.htm#Masq)
> yourself, you should:
>
> a) Ask on the list; and if that doesn't work
> b) "I guess I can go try various options...."
>
> I'm so discouraged.....

Hi Tom.  It's been a long time since I've participated on the list, but this
is something I'd like to address.

I've noticed in my lurking that a great many people post to the list in the
same "style" they'd use in a verbal conversation.  Something like "go try
various options" is a pretty nebulous statement, and it doesn't actually
preclude reading the documentation again.

I _completely_ understand your frustration, as I watch in awe at the
consistent level of in-depth technical advice you've provided to the list.  I
wonder, though, if perhaps you aren't being a little too literal while others
are being too informal?

I've been quiet through all the discussion so far because I don't have any
positive contributions to make.  It seems like you genuinely want to provide
technical support, and I respect that committment to your work.  I don't want
to advocate a solution like "Tom should only answer question that the
community can't answer in three days" because I don't want to tell you how to
run your show.  I think a better solution is "Tom answers the questions he
feels like answering, and sod the rest."  ;)

I think the newbies list is a good thing, provided the community is gentle in
redirecting people who incorrectly / too-quickly subscribe to the
(non-newbie) users mailing.