[Shorewall-users] shorewall-newbies

Mike Noyes mhnoyes at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Dec 4 16:38:58 PST 2003

On Thu, 2003-12-04 at 08:06, Tom Eastep wrote:
> As far as the Wiki thing goes, the opinion has been expressed that one
> reason that people don't contribute to the Shorewall documentation is
> that it is stored in CVS and that CVS is so intimidating that only brain
> surgeons and one woman from Baltimore are willing to try to cope with
> it. Converting the FAQ to wiki format is supposed to make it easier for
> those who are CVS squeamish to contribute. We'll see...

Tom,
That assertion came from me alone, and is a direct result of my
expedience with LEAF.

I have found that cvs is used, if the documentation is in a format that
can be manipulated easier than html (e.g. DocBook XML). We finally found
a tool (xxe) that allows pseudo WYSIWYG editing of DocBook XML. This
greatly helped our guide creation, but it hasn't helped our FAQs. A Wiki
is our next step, in an effort to keep them current.

    Note: I also created an auto-build process for all documents in the
    leaf repository. We are still working on converting all of the old
    content.
        http://leaf-project.org/doc/guide/ (conversion almost done)
        http://leaf-project.org/doc/man/ (conversion complete)
        http://leaf-project.org/doc/howto/ (three docs converted)

        daily.sh (auto-build script)
        http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/leaf/devel/mhnoyes/sf-admin/

BTW, I completed the initial conversion of the Shorewall FAQ.htm to
Simplified DocBook XML. Let me know if you want it. The only thing that
didn't convert well was your WARNING admonition. I would have to use
DocBook XML 4.x for that, as it's not part of Simplified.

http://sourceforge.net/users/mhnoyes/
SF.net Projects: ffl, leaf, phpwebsite, phpwebsite-comm, sitedocs