[Shorewall-users] shorewall-newbies

Alex Martin shorewall at rettc.com
Thu Dec 4 04:07:13 PST 2003

Hello,

I think shorewall-newbies is useless.

The reason for a mailing list is that one may follow/use it at their discretion.
Some benefits of a core list include:
It is usually archived and searchable.
It demonstrates trends in behavior that are usefull.
It provides direction for development and documentation.

One may follow a list for a number of reasons:
You are moderating.
You are learning.
You are staying fresh.
You are developing.
You are seeking solutions or help.

By splitting list traffic into multiple lists, most of the above benefits are
rendered less powerful, and unless necessary, provides additional confusion.

Of course one can follow many lists, but again most benefits are reduced.

Unless the traffic of a core list is immense, there is no reason for
fragmentation.

The amount of traffic on this list fluctuates, but I think it has never become
unmanageable.

So, as long as the shorewall support team adds their two bits, I see
shorewall-newbies as a complication.

Go shorewall support team..!..

(just my two bits)

Alex Martin