[Shorewall-users] Shorewall Wiki

Alex Martin shorewall at rettc.com
Wed Dec 3 18:14:11 PST 2003

Ok.

I am now confused. I got excited because I have wanted to see how a wiki goes,
and because I had set one up in the past, and because I try to give what I can
to support shorewall.

But, remind me why we would want to make a wiki faq?

Also, Tom (are you out there?), does your faq live in any version aside from
html? Like docbook or something that can be exported easily? Does it live in
cvs?

Wait, I poked around the source from the website and I think the answer is no.

I think that there may be better ways to distribute shorewall support tasks to
people aside from Tom.

Tom pointed out that his documentation depends on his FAQ. Like all of the
various links are dependant on his http://www.shorewall.net/FAQ.htm.

And in terms of documentation, Tom is doing an extremely excellent job. Probably
the best documentation for an open source project I have seen.

I think the main way to offload Tom is to moderate the mailing lists, and maybe
discuss documentation additions/clarifications somewhere, maybe shorewall-devel
if this is a reasonable place.

Tom's documentation system has worked fine and will work fine. The main trouble
that spawned all of this list noise seems to be based on
unfamiliarity/cognition/laziness as demonstrated in list mails.

Again, if we shorewall supporters simply moderate and direct list postings, so
that Tom need not be dissappointed when people do not understand/search/read
through his excellent documentation, I think that we can once again achieve the
low rumble of silence and harmony on the lists, and hopefully in Tom's mind.

Maybe I am way off here...?....

Alex Martin
http://www.rettc.com