[Shorewall-users] Re: Shorewall For Dummies

Mike Noyes mhnoyes at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Dec 3 17:23:13 PST 2003

On Wed, 2003-12-03 at 08:27, Troy Arnold wrote:
> If you are looking for community support I do think that there are many
> people that would like to help.  I really don't understand why you can't
> have a webpage for all of this.  I know you said in the past that the phpbb2
> thing did'nt work cause of ppl posting configs and such, however there are
> many options about allowing what ppl post, and lenth of posts, etc.  This
> way you can have 2-3 forum mods that handle the look, in this FAQ , for that
> answer 1st.

Troy,
Web based discussion systems (phpBB, Invision, etc.) are poor at
handling complex technical discussion/support. They also require a lot
more admin work, and network resources to maintain than a mailing list
does.

    Note: most web based discussion boards are working on nntp gateways.
    Nntp was designed for discussion, but it has always been an
    administration nightmare.

    Example: SF.net forums <-> nntp.sourceforge.net

http://sourceforge.net/users/mhnoyes/
SF.net Projects: ffl, leaf, phpwebsite, phpwebsite-comm, sitedocs