[Shorewall-users] Re: Shorewall For Dummies

Tom Eastep teastep at shorewall.net
Wed Dec 3 08:16:38 PST 2003

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, Reginald Richardson wrote:

> With all due respect to you Tom,
>

> I don't know how to understand your message, when you say happy
> supporting folks...etc...etc. but please correct my thaughts if i'm
> wrong. for me, i seeing this, as you got upset because of statements
> made, and you said to hell with it (pls correct me if i'm wrong)

It means that Shorewall is at a point where the project either has to grow
or it will die because it has reached the maximum size where one person
can do everything and still maintain his/her sanity. Community-based
support is one of the ways that will allow the project to grow.

> It's hard to see u varnished off this list, your expertize is still needed on the list,

Let's see how it goes.

> Someone posted a brilliant idea, i think it was Franchisca, where u can
> remain on this list, but create a list for newbies where all the newbies
> would be posting and u remain on this list.

I'll do that if I think it's necessary. I'm not particularly internested
in having another mailing list to administer.

> I'm not a developer, and don't thihk i should be in that list, i'm also
> not a newbie to shorewall, but still not a pro, so i do monitor this
> list every day, to learn from others, lots of my issues i solved, was
> base on other questions with out even posting a note.

It is VERY rare that a truly new question is posted on the list. Take this
morning's crop:

a) We have a guy reporting that modules won't load on Mandrake. I posted a
message to that effect last week and there's a large essay on the topic at
the top of http://www.shorewall.net/FTP.html.

b) We have another person who can't get Squid running as a transparent
proxy in his local zone and who has "discovered" that there's a way to do
it without policy routing. The archives are full of people whining that
the miracle that he has discovered makes all requests to the proxy look
like they came from the firewall. Those prior posters were able to make it
work without resorting to running iptables directly (FAQ 2 contains most
of what's needed).

c) We have a guy who is trying to make RealPlayer work but who hasn't yet
discovered that RealPlayer can be configured to use specific UDP ports.
While I think that's probably a new problem, if it takes my involvement to
solve it then the project is already doomed.

> and tom, no offence meant, \

None taken.

Washington USA  \ teastep at shorewall.net