[Shorewall-users] PPP <--> RH9 <--> LinkSys <--> Home Network

Kenneth Jacker khj at be.cs.appstate.edu
Mon Dec 1 14:35:34 PST 2003

This might be a little crazy, but thought I'd ask here anyway ...

I currently have a home machine -- running Shorewall, of course --
connected to my campus modem pool using PPP.  Until I can get real
broadband access, I am wondering if I could add a LinkSys box (WRT54G)
and use PPP.

I guess the goal would be something like this:

             +-------+          +---------+
      PPP    |       |  10BaseT |         +<=======>   | 10BaseT
   <========>+  RH9  +<========>+ WRT54G  +<=======>   |  Home Network
             |       |          |         +<=======>  /
             |       |          |         |
             +-------+          +---------+

So, I guess there are two questions:

   o  Is the above even possible with the WRT54G?

   o  How to setup 'shorewall' to allow this?

What I *think* I need to do is make the RH9 box appear as if it were
an ISP ... if I could fake that, it just might work!

I told you it was crazy!  ;-)

Thanks for any ideas!

Prof Kenneth H Jacker       khj at cs.appstate.edu
Computer Science Dept       www.cs.appstate.edu/~khj