[Shorewall-users] Format of the rules file and other complaints

Tom Eastep teastep at shorewall.net
Fri Aug 15 16:58:37 PDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-08-15 at 06:41, Tom Eastep wrote:

> The reason that I didn't make the rate limit a separate column is:
>
> a) To add a column, it would have had to have been to the far right.
> b) This would have placed it beyond two very lightly used columns
> necessitating the use of "- -" each time a rate was specified.
> c) The new column would have been beyond column 80 which would have been
> an inconvenience for LEAF Bering users who use an 80-column editor from
> their console.
> d) In my own very wide format of the rules file (see
> http://shorewall.net/myfiles.htm), the new column would have been beyond
> the width of an emacs window on my 1280x1024 display.

Since this isn't the first request I've had for a separate column, the
version in CVS now offers you a choice - you can put rate limiting in
the ACTION column as previously or you can specify it in the separate
RATE LIMIT column off to the far right.

To accommodate an HP-internal enhancement request I'm now working on, I
have to add one or two more columns so trying to keep the rules file
within 80 columns seems like a lost cause in the long run.

Washington USA  \ teastep at shorewall.net