[Shorewall-users] dhcp problem

Örjan Johansson orjan@bolibompa.com
Sun, 5 May 2002 23:30:46 +0200

Hi Scott,

the 10.116.16.1 was an RFC1918 address nor >that it would be
"reasonable" for the cable modem ISP to use one for their DHCP server.

>Thanks for the help, Scott.

I don't think it's ignorant at all. The fact that some ISP's use RFC1918
addresses for their DNS and DHCP servers undermines security.
Unfortunately, a lot of us are stuck with their stubborn unwillingness
to care about anything but making money... Of course we should all be
able to run our firewalls in non-RFC1918-mode to protect ourselves but
alas... You're not the first to get caught by this!

Cheers,
Orjan