[Shorewall-users] blacklist - limited to individual ports (smtp)

Tom Eastep teastep@shorewall.net
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 12:27:57 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 17 Jul 2002, Rene @ Webscorpion.com wrote:

> Great job with Shorewall!
>
> The only thing I'm missing is a blacklist for smtp. I use this to add
> spammers and spamming networks. Is something like this planned? If not,
> does anyone have a good idea of how would be the best way to implement a
> hack to get this functionality?

I'm filtering SPAM with Spamassassin. Since I installed SA, I get less
than one UCE a week.

In my view, that's a much better way to weed out spam than configuring it
in a packet filter like Shorewall. SA checks against RBL lists (be sure
you have a caching name server) as well as performing content analysis.