[Shorewall-users] How can I secure samba dmz <> loc?

Tom Eastep teastep@shorewall.net
Mon, 08 Jul 2002 14:28:15 -0700

Steve Sobka wrote:

> Everything DOES work, but I am wondering if there is some easier way to go
> about this? Like using aVPN or somthing similar? I just have no idea what to
> look for if there is a better way, or what it would be called?

A VPN would be more secure but it definitely isn't easier. And given
that your firewall runs Bering, I suspend that you don't want to add
large packages to your firewall?

> Could anyone make a suggestion on a more secure way of accomplishing the
> same task?

Do any of the boxes behind your firewall support a VPN server (W2K, NT
Server)? If so, setting one of them up as a VPN server then using your
laptop as a VPN client would probably be the easiest.