[Shorewall-users] proxyarp and nat

Bradey Honsinger BradeyH@construx.com
Wed, 3 Jul 2002 12:23:25 -0700

I'm using both, albeit for different subnets (proxy ARP for the DMZ, and NAT
for the internal network). It seems to be a fairly common solution to the
problem. It would be a little odd to run both on the same network--you'd
have both public and private IPs on the same wire--but it should work OK.

- Bradey

-----Original Message-----
From: Simon Matter [mailto:simon.matter@ch.sauter-bc.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 10:59 PM
To: shorewall-users
Subject: [Shorewall-users] proxyarp and nat

For a new firewall I want to use a combination of proxyarp and NAT.
Proxyarp because it has many advantages over nat for several protocols
and NAT because we have limited public IPs and it's easier to save some
with NAT.

Is there any good reason not to use a combination of both? Do I miss
something here?

Simon