[Shorewall-users] Started to use shorewall 1.2.1 - Email pickup is now s-l-o-w

Tom Eastep teastep@shorewall.net
Sat, 5 Jan 2002 07:28:39 -0800

On Saturday 05 January 2002 07:06 am, Andy wrote:
> Hi All,
>   I had had a go at getting shorewall running on my system (RH 7.1, ker=
> 2.4.16), and have looked at the faq and documentation etc. But I cant s=
eem
> to find out what Ive done wrong here.
>
>   I used to use an iptables script (monmothas) and now want to move to
> shorewall...
>
>   My sytem set is firewall machine connected to the internet via adsl o=
> ppp0, local network on eth0 (10.1.0.0/8)
>
>   I have used the latest sample files - two-interfaces setup, and chang=
ed
> the local ip address to represent my network.
>
>   The problem I have so far, is that now when using outlook on the loca=
> network, it takes about 1 minute to connect to the pop3 server for my
> email...if i clean the iptables out, stop shorewall, and load my old
> monmotha script..im back to whoosh pickup.
>
>   But, I can use the web browser from the local network with no problem=
s..

>   Probably being dumb, I know..but can anyone help ?

Try adding the following entry to the bottom of /etc/shorewall/rules and =
let=20
us know if it helps:

REJECT=09net=09fw=09tcp=09auth

-Tom
--=20
Tom Eastep    \  teastep@shorewall.net
AIM: tmeastep  \  http://www.shorewall.net
ICQ: #60745924  \  Firewalls for Linux 2.4