[Shorewall-users] Burn Out

Steve Herber herber@thing.com
Fri, 26 Apr 2002 10:43:40 -0700 (PDT)

Thank you Tom for all the work you have done creating an easy to use text
based, modern firewall.  The /etc/shorewall files and your excellent web
site allowed me to get a working firewall up and running quickly.  The
basic simplicity of the configuration files helped me grasp the rules and
policies for the firewall without having to intimately know iptables or
ipchains.  I used the examples as examples only, not as solutions, but as
guides.  More examples might be better than no examples at all.

Not having a GUI was one of the most appealing aspects of Shorewall for me.
I could just dive into the example config files and the documentation and
learn about the system.  I have appreciated seeing your efforts directed at
improving the base system with enhancements like the recent rate limiting
code.  Keeping the core firewall up to date and feature rich is more
important to the long term life of Shorewall than all the GUI's and
pre-canned configuration files in the world.

Shorewall is a great firewall and your support and dedication have been
second to none.  Your new focus gets my support.  I would be glad to help
support the quick start guide and samples.

Thank you,
--
Steve Herber	herber@thing.com	work: 206-261-0307
Systems Engineer, AMCIS, UoW		home: 425-454-2399