[Shorewall-users] timeout function?

Tom Eastep teastep@shorewall.net
Sat, 20 Apr 2002 09:22:41 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 20 Apr 2002, Computerrific wrote:

> I am currently using Bering as a Router/Firewall combined with Shorewall
> in my office on a 486 DX/33. Boots up great, routes awesome, everything
> is completely fine. When we come in each morning, the network is deemed
> "unreachable". Does Shorewall turn the eth's off for that "true firewall
> effect?"

No -- Remember that Shorewall is just a tool for configuring Netfilter,
the packet filtering facility in the 2.4 kernels. It has NO active
components running in the system -- once it has configured Netfilter
during "shorewall start" or "shorewall restart", it is out of the picture
until you next start, stop, restart, etc.

> How can I make turning the eth's back on easy to any layperson
> who would get here before I do in the morning? Or get them to stay on
> full time?  We have tried simple "ifup -a", no luck. "ifdown -a" to
> manually shut them off to BE turned back on don't work either. Any
> suggestions?

We need to understand what is happening. How to you get an IP address from
your ISP? (DHCP, PPPoE, ???).