[Shorewall-users] tranparent proxy

Paul Slinski pauls@globaliqx.com
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 14:14:00 -0400

Yes. It is possible to configure it as both a transparent proxy and stand=
alone=20
all in one.

httpd_accel_with_proxy on

This tells squid you want to run as an accellerator as well as as a stand=
ard=20
proxy server. It is within the httpd_accel block of the configuration.

On April 19, 2002 12:39 pm, Tom Eastep wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Apr 2002, Paul Slinski wrote:
> > We use this at our location (using Seawall) to help cut down on
> > bandwidth. It works quite well, although you need to make sure Squid =
(if
> > that is the proxy in use) is configured for transparent proxy
> > (http_accel).
>
> I understand why Squid is a good thing in general -- I'm just wondering
> why I would want to run it in Manuel's case. I suppose that if Manuel i=
> running Squid on his firewall for the good reasons that you suggest and=
 he
> is also browsing the web from the firewall then he might want to make u=
se
> of the Squid cache.
>
> I wonder if it is possible to configure squid so that it can be used as
> both a transparent and an explicit proxy; that way, Manuel could config=
ure
> his browser on the firewall to use the local proxy yet local users woul=
> continue to use the proxy transparently.
>
> -Tom

--=20
Paul Slinski
System Administrator