[Shorewall-users] tranparent proxy

Tom Eastep teastep@shorewall.net
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 09:39:16 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 19 Apr 2002, Paul Slinski wrote:

> We use this at our location (using Seawall) to help cut down on bandwidth. It
> works quite well, although you need to make sure Squid (if that is the proxy
> in use) is configured for transparent proxy (http_accel).

I understand why Squid is a good thing in general -- I'm just wondering
why I would want to run it in Manuel's case. I suppose that if Manuel is
running Squid on his firewall for the good reasons that you suggest and he
is also browsing the web from the firewall then he might want to make use
of the Squid cache.

I wonder if it is possible to configure squid so that it can be used as
both a transparent and an explicit proxy; that way, Manuel could configure
his browser on the firewall to use the local proxy yet local users would
continue to use the proxy transparently.