[Shorewall-users] 'shorewall try' not working with 1.2.11 version

Jon Gibbens jon@jgibbens.com
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 11:53:26 -0700

I'm trying to get 'shorewall try' to work with the new Shorewall 1.2.11
version.  System is Redhat 7.2 and I installed Shorewall from the RPM.

I created a new configuration directory in /etc/shorewall/testing
I copied all of the config files from /etc/shorewall to
/etc/shorewall/testing

I deliberately modified a rule in /etc/shorewall/testing/rules to create
a syntax error that would cause shorewall to stop.  Believe me, it's a
doozy :)

I then executed the following command:

shorewall try /etc/shorewall/testing

I got back the following output:
[root@myhost root]# shorewall try /etc/shorewall/testing
Usage: shorewall [debug] [nolock] [-c <directory>] <command>
where <command> is one of:
    show [<chain>|connections|log|nat|tc|tos]
    start
    stop
    reset
    restart
    status
    clear
    refresh
    hits
    monitor [<refresh interval>]
    version
    check
    try <directory>

It doesn't look like it's doing anything. I have reinstalled the RPM,
also downloaded the source version and compared the /sbin/shorewall and
/etc/shorewall/firewall scripts to make sure everything is the same.

Should I have my test shorewall configuration in another directory
alltogether (ie  /tmp/shorewalltesting, etc) for this to work?

thanks in advance
Jon