[Shorewall-users] I can't connect to the internet with Shorewall.

Tom Eastep teastep@shorewall.net
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 07:56:58 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)

On Wed, 10 Apr 2002, Wayne Bornall wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've installed Shorewall on Mandrake 8.1 and edited the interfaces and hosts
> file but I can't connect to the internet with it. I can connect if I
> uninstall Shorewall.
>

> This is from my interfaces file:
>
> #ZONE    INTERFACE     BROADCAST      OPTIONS
> net ppp0
>

> And this is from my hosts file:
>
> #ZONE     HOST(S)     OPTIONS
> net ppp0:myip
>

> I did not edit the zones file and the shorewall start command etc works fine
> as far as I can see.
>
> Does someone know why I can't connect to the internet?

You may want to check out the Shoreline QuickStart Guide:

http://www.shorewall.net/shorewall_quickstart_guide.htm

That should help you get your firewall up and running quickly.

90% of all Shorewall users don't need to modify the hosts file and 80% of
those who try to modify it get it wrong -- count yourself among the latter
group.