[Shorewall-users] Quick Start Guide

Richard Kimber rkimber@ntlworld.com
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 14:21:01 +0100

On Tue, 9 Apr 2002 17:20:47 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)
Tom Eastep <teastep@shorewall.net> wrote:

> Version 1.0 of the Quick Start Guide and accompanying sample
> configurations is available at:
>
> http://www.shorewall.net/shorewall_quickstart_guide.htm.
>
> Comments and suggestions are most welcome.

Impressively quickly done.

I have a few idiot questions that arise:

I wasn't clear about the zones in a standalone system.  The document
implies that you just have "net", but shouldn't there be a zone for the
machine too, i.e. for 127.0.0.1?  I thought there ought to be a rule that
permits everything that doesn't go outside the machine, otherwise you may
not be able to print, which I can't with the default setup, (using CUPS).

Also, I assume my CM is outside the fw and is thus part of the net zone,
but I wasn't clear how to define a rule that allowed me to get my browser
to connect to it's IP (192.168.100.1) to read the status info, given the
norfc1918 option.  I tried
ACCEPT   net:192.168.100.1  fw tcp 80
but that didn't work

FYI one tiny typo in ZONE line of interfaces: "Much match"  "Must match" ?

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
Political Science Resources        http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/