[Shorewall-users] I can't connect to the internet with Shorewall.

Paul Gear paulgear@bigfoot.com
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 21:29:45 +1000

Wayne Bornall wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've installed Shorewall on Mandrake 8.1 and edited the interfaces and hosts
> file but I can't connect to the internet with it. I can connect if I
> uninstall Shorewall.
>
> This is from my interfaces file:
>
> #ZONE    INTERFACE     BROADCAST      OPTIONS
> net ppp0
>
> And this is from my hosts file:
>
> #ZONE     HOST(S)     OPTIONS
> net ppp0:myip
>
> I did not edit the zones file and the shorewall start command etc works fine
> as far as I can see.
>
> Does someone know why I can't connect to the internet?

You shouldn't put your own IP in the 'net' zone.  If you have a simple one/two
interface setup, you shouldn't need to use the hosts file at all.  Just the
interfaces file is enough.  Check out the one interface example at
http://www.shorewall.net/pub/shorewall/LATEST.samples/one-interface.tgz.

You may also have a problem with your policy or rules file - i can't say
because you haven't said anything about them.

Paul
http://paulgear.webhop.net