[Shorewall-users] Parameterized Samples Withdrawn

Richard Kimber rkimber@ntlworld.com
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 17:23:06 +0100

On Tue, 9 Apr 2002 10:22:47 -0500
"Cowles, Steve" <Steve@SteveCowles.com> wrote:

> Furthermore, (so that we are all starting from the same page) I would
> like to see an "initial" install script for shorewall that prompts for
> basic network design parameters similar to how the "firewall in a box"
> manufactures like netgear, linksys, etc... do. Then the install script
> creates a standard set of shorewall parameter files. Something like the
> following:
>
> 1) Which interface is external? (eth0/eth1)
> 2) Is the external interface's ip address assigned through DHCP?
> 3) Does the external interface require PPPoE? <groan!>
> 4) DNS servers that the firewall will use for name resolution?
> 5) Which interface is internal? (eth0/eth1)
> 6) What is the LAN address of the internal interface? (192.168.1.0/24)

This is the kind of thing I meant when I referred to wizards and
pmfirewall previously.  If such an install script were to be envisaged,
perhaps there could be a discussion on the general format.

-Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
Political Science Resources        http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/