[Shorewall-users] Re: Shorewall-users digest, Vol 1 #122 - 10 msgs

Richard Kimber rkimber@ntlworld.com
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 15:23:57 +0100

On Tue, 09 Apr 2002 08:38:10 -0400
"Mark Hoover" <mhoover@nps.k12.va.us> wrote:

> You could give most of these people a firewall ruleset that allows
> everything throught and as long as they get a "Shorewall Started [    OK
>   ]" they'll think they have a secure system.

If their situation is straightforward enough and it's a good ruleset,
presumably they will have a secure system.  It's surely only the more
complex systems that require the extra work you refer to.  I guess I
potentially confused the issue here by originally referring to 'newbies'.
A newbie might in fact have any of a range of machine configurations. What
I'm really concerned about are those people who have very simple,
straightforward, systems where mastering a complex documentation, much of
which doesn't apply to them, isn't justified.

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
Political Science Resources        http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/