[Shorewall-users] Parameterized Samples Withdrawn

admin@kiteflyer.com admin@kiteflyer.com
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 23:12:56 EST

I have to add my two cents here -

I'm gonna have to side with Tom on this one.
Although the parameterized solutions may get you off the ground quicker, it is
not that much more trouble to configure the few entries needed by a default
system. After using Shorewall for quite a while now, I progressed from a basic
two port version (with IPchains firewall behind), to a three port version. There
was a bit of a learning curve, but it was in my interest to learn.
I recently decided to toy with "Bering" (the floppy shorewall).It uses
parameterized settings. Since it is built around a two interface concept, it
needed to be changed to work in my three interface setup. I can honestly say, it
took me hours to figure out what they were doing in those configuration files.
To me, it just doesn't seem as logical to follow as non-parameterized.

And I consider myself a newbie...
remember: command line is your friend, especially when you just misconfigured X!

Wayne
admin@kiteflyer.com