[Shorewall-users] 2 questions

Tom Eastep teastep@shorewall.net
Thu, 4 Apr 2002 15:44:58 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time)

J=F8rgen,

On Fri, 5 Apr 2002, J=F8rgen Lysgaard wrote:

> I'm bulding a small "Linux from Scratch"  Router/firewall, and was
> planing to use Shorewall.
>
> 1. question:
> Right now i use Seawall, It dont start if my pppoe is not running, but
> Shorewall dont care, why this difference ?

The two products are TOTALLY different -- one of the design objectives for
Shorewall was that the user should be able to configure the firewall so
that it could be started before networking was started.

> 2. question:
> I have made a init script, but it dont handel the " kill  $$ " ( line 90
> & 825 in shorewall 1.2.10 ) very vel
> ( out put dont look nice ), are kill needed if .../init.d/shorewall is
> started from /sbin/shorewall ?  or by ????

The kill is needed because errors can be detected in a sub-shell; I don't
want the main program to continue merrily along after a sub-shell has
terminated with an error.

You could redirect stderr somewhere -- that's probably what is screwing up
your display.