[Shorewall-users] Filtering web sites

Tom Eastep teastep@shorewall.net
Tue, 2 Apr 2002 14:20:10 -0800

On Tuesday 02 April 2002 11:53 am, Paul Gear wrote:
> Jens wrote:
> > I was wondering if Shorewall could be used to filter websites ....
> > Specifically, there are a number of web sites I frequent that require
> > Macromedia software but I do not want to install this software. As a
> > result, I am faced with manually closing up to 10 Macromedia windows
> > whenever I visit these sites.
> > If anybody is doing filtering such as this (or filtering for pop up ads)
> > I would like to hear how you have implemented this.
>
> The right way to do this is in your proxy server (assuming you use squid).
> I use adzap <http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/adzap>; some other common ones are
> SquidGuard and JunkBuster (can't remember their sites - search
> freshmeat.net for them).

While Shorewall can be used as this type of filter, I agree with Paul -- your
proxy server is a much better place to enforce policies about what web sites
local users are permitted to connect to.

Tom Eastep               \ Shorewall -- iptables made easy
teastep@shorewall.net  \ http://www.shorewall.net