[Shorewall-newbies] Sub-Interface's

sysop sysop at gamebottle.com
Sun Mar 14 18:10:32 PST 2004

Now mine got all screwed up.  Let me try this again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Then I have a question.  Seen as I am using virtual interfaces what is the
point of interfaces, zones, defaultpolicies?  I assume nothing but then it
leads to this question.  I looked in the link you published and found this
line.

#ACTION   SOURCE     DEST                 PROTO      DEST PORT(S)
ACCEPT    net        $FW:206.124.146.178  tcp        22

What is the point of the source "net" and the variable "$FW"?My environment
is a single server with 8 virtual addresses.  Here is basically what I have.

eth0      dns
eth0:0   dns
eth0:1    ftp/http/https
eth0:2    ftp/http/https
eth0:3    gameserver
eth0:4    game server
eth0:5    game server
eth0:6    admin tools (ssh, webmin, plesk, etc)

To setup my rules am I only concerned with ip addresses so in the example
above for my eth0 and eth0:0 would look like this for DNS.

ACCEPT    0.0.0.0    10.10.10.10 tcp        53
ACCEPT    0.0.0.0    10.10.10.10 udp       53
ACCEPT    0.0.0.0    10.10.10.11 tcp        53
ACCEPT    0.0.0.0    10.10.10.11 udp       53

Is this right?----- Original