[Shorewall-newbies] Shorewall and use of multiple IPs

Bill.Light at kp.org Bill.Light at kp.org
Tue Mar 9 12:33:24 PST 2004

I hate it, but I had to resort to ASCII art....here is what I have:
Assigned by SBC (formerly Pacific Bell) - I can have 5 IP's

******************
**   Internet   **
******************
       *
       *
******************
**     SBC      **
******************
       *
       *
******************
**  Phone Jack  **
******************
       *
       *
******************
**  DSL Modem   **
**              **
**   x.y.z.1    **
******************
       *
       *
*******************************
**   x.y.z.2    eth0         **
**                           **
**  Shorewall   10.aa.bb.cc  ********  Internal Lan  *******>>>
**                           **
**   192.0.x.x  eth2         **
*******************************
       *
       * DMZ
       *
*******************************
**                           **
**   x.y.z.3   eth0          **
**   x.y.z.4   eth0:1        **
**   x.y.z.5   eth0:2        **
**   x.y.z.6   eth0:3        **
**                           **
*******************************

x.y.z.nn  are REAL IP addresses assigned to me by SBC

SBC has said I can run my own name services (so reverse
lookups do NOT point to adsl-x.y.x.nn.dsl.xxxx01.pacbell.net)

So the question becomes how to use these real IP's on one box

When I set up name services I think I want:

.3  mail.my.domain
.4  www.my.domain
.5  www.virtual.domain1
    www.virtual.domain2
    www.virtual.domain3
.6  leave as spare for now

MX records for virtual.domain# point to mail.my.domain (.3)
.4 "looks" like a big player on the internet
.5 I can host my family members...

Here comes actual question - What do I tell SBC to
set my name services to ?

.3  mail.zzzzz
.4  zzzzz
.3  dns.zzzz
and any .5 or .6 domain  I "register" to the .3 ?

Am I asking too much for 1 box ?  Am I even asking the right question ?