[Shorewall-newbies] OT: Bill Gates and Paying for E-Mail

Andreas Paasch andreas at Paasch.Net
Fri Mar 5 16:27:21 PST 2004

On Sat, 2004-03-06 at 00:00, Francesca C. Smith wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-03-05 at 17:41, Tom Eastep wrote:
> > Am I the only one thinking that this proposal has less to do with spam than it
> > does with curbing Open Source Software development by making mailing lists
> > such as these expensive to operate?
> >
> > -Tom
>
> Tom,
>
> Microsoft has a vision shaped years ago of metering the Internet ... The
> interesting thing is that in a world where no one can agree on anything
> just who is gonna go along with paying for e-mail. But a interesting
> upside of this .. 200,000,000 of 200,000,001 Hotmail users would leave
> the service ridding us of that at least. SPF is the best bet .. And its
> absolutely AMAZING that instead of just plugging into this idea .. MS
> has to come up with there own "Standard" that is sorta the same but just
> enough not the same to keep it not interoperable. And then Trumpet It as
> there own. Like LDAP, KEREBOS, And DNS "Active Directory".
>
> Francesca

Maybe they have this vision, maybe not.
However, the implications it will have is much more complex if Microsoft
actually puts that idea - that I don't know much about - into action.
If they create a system where you pay for email in any way, and then the
Bill Gates way create it as a new standard for MS, then the world must
adapt due to the huge amount of Windows users.

And that they as of now can define a defacto standard, that's what I
don't like to see at all, that's why I moved away from MS .. and because
I wasn't in charge of my system then.

/Andreas
--
Andreas Paasch <andreas at Paasch.Net>