[Shorewall-newbies] Routed Subnet - ICMP problem

Tom Eastep teastep at shorewall.net
Fri Mar 5 12:19:28 PST 2004

On Friday 05 March 2004 10:56 am, Garrett Johnson wrote:
> Tcpdump shows no packets while pinging from 10.1.3.2 to the firewall, the
> web or the router.  When I connect to the 10.1.3.2 host with VNC I do see
> the VNC packets while I set up the ping.  I am able to ping 10.1.1.1 from
> 10.1.3.2 and no packets show in the tcpdump.

So in other words, you are trying to tell me that you can ping the IP address
of eth1 on the firewall from 10.1.3.2 yet "tcpdump -ni eth1 host 10.1.3.2" on
the firewall shows nothing????

If that is truly the case then something is very broken in your setup or you
are doing something silly (like not leaving tcpdump running while you are
pinging).

Washington USA  \ teastep at shorewall.net