[Shorewall-newbies] Shorewall 1.4.9 + Reject/Drop/Stealth

Ow Mun Heng ow.mun.heng at wdc.com
Tue Jan 27 17:54:39 PST 2004

This is from the WIKI-FAQ
=========
(FAQ 4) I just used an online port scanner to check my firewall and it shows
some ports as "closed" rather than "blocked". Why?
Answer: The common.def included with version 1.3.x always rejects connection
requests on TCP port 113 rather than dropping them. This is necessary to
prevent outgoing connection problems to services that use the "Auth"
mechanism for identifying requesting users. Shorewall also rejects TCP ports
135, 137, 139 and 445 as well as UDP ports 137-139. These are ports that are
used by Windows (Windows can be configured to use the DCE cell locator on
port 135). Rejecting these connection requests rather than dropping them
cuts down slightly on the amount of Windows chatter on LAN segments
connected to the Firewall.
=========

I still don't see/understand why they are "closed" My understanding is VERY
limited at this point in time.