[Shorewall-newbies] Shorewall routing + Apache

Bill.Light at kp.org Bill.Light at kp.org
Thu Jan 22 12:19:26 PST 2004

Trying to follow the documentation...

I am routed
I have 5 IP addresses assigned by SBC

So we have
CIDR=X.Y.Z.121/29
NETMASK=255.255.255.248
NETWORK=X.Y.Z.120
BROADCAST=X.Y.Z.127

So my firewall route uses X.Y.Z.121
My firewall connects to the Internet with eth0 X.Y.Z.122
eth1 goes to my server in the DMZ with a 192.0

The DMZ box (also running shorewall) gets:
eth0            X.Y.Z.123
eth0:1  X.Y.Z.124
eth0:2  X.Y.Z.125
eth0:3  X.Y.Z.126

httpd.conf now says to listen to:
X.Y.Z.123:80
X.Y.Z.124:80
X.Y.Z.125:80
X.Y.Z.126:80

BindAddress
X.Y.Z.123
X.Y.Z.124
X.Y.Z.125
X.Y.Z.126

VirtualHost X.Y.Z.12x
        ServerAdmin     blah at blah-blah.com
        DocumentRoot    /home/blahx/htdocs
        ServerName      blahx.com

"x" For each address

I can ping all addresses, I can get http:80 to answer on all 4 addresses,
but all 4 reply with the .123 web page.

Questions:

Am I using all of the addresses supplied by SBC correctly ?
Am I doing Routing, Shorewall, or Apache incorrectly?
Do I use all four of the addresses for web pages or set one or two aside
as "spare" ?
         (Mail, another DMZ box, or whatever)

- Bill