[Shorewall-newbies] I Love Shorewall

Lyvim Xaphir lxaphir at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 21 12:25:06 PST 2004

I'd like to inform everybody, Tom Eastep especially, that I got the
Neverwinter nights server problem solved about a week ago; thanks to the
leverage that Shorewall gives the admin with regard to
netfilter/iptables.

I'd like to thank Tom for an excellent piece of work in Shorewall.  The
sheer leverage that this package provides a sysadmin is simply
astonishing.  Once the syntax of the tables in Shorewall is learned, it
provides a faster and more simple way of controlling iptables as
compared to the command line and running scripts.  Yet Shorewall
maintains a mental connection for the sysadmin to iptables command line
concepts, because the configuration tables are so closely related to
iptables script commands.  I've never heard anybody say this, so I
wanted to present this aspect of Shorewall myself.

Shorewall also allows very rapid experimentation with different firewall
configurations, without restarting the service.  Very handy and time
saving.  In a crunch onsite, this can be very handy.

Thanks for Shorewall..

LX