[Shorewall-newbies] A DMZ issue with private addresses

Matthew Pozzi matthew at ozpoz.com
Wed Jan 21 22:32:25 PST 2004

Tom, I am sorry I did not explain myself fully, an idiot indeed. Dual homing
the boxes is indeed a solution, but I do not want normal routed traffic
coming from the net to this DMZ through a second router, only portforwarded
traffic.

I full appreciate that routing cannot be done to a DMZ that hangs off
another box, nor would I try, maybe I am not quite the idiot I make myself
out to be?

I am doing since the data path via the DSL service will be a lot cheaper
compared to a per byte charged ISDN service.

I am trying to do this using:
Shorewall 1.4.9, iptables 1.2.8 kernel 2.4.20 (Bering 1.2)

and my rule is this:

DNAT	net	dmz:a.b.c.d:80	tcp	54321

But to no avail, although I also have another DNAT service that is working,
without any port translation though

DNAT    net             loc:192.168.45.22       tcp     1723
DNAT    net             loc:192.168.45.22       47      -
DNAT    net             loc:192.168.45.22       tcp     1701

for a M$ PPTP VPN server sitting behind. I cannot think why this first DNAT
won't work while the second/third/fourth do. Can you still see a problem?

With thanks,
Matthew