[Shorewall-newbies] Newbie - How to open range of RTP ports

Balaji NJL bajjeen at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 10 19:39:30 PST 2004

> On Sat, 10 Jan 2004, Francesca C. Smith wrote:
>

> > Don't think it would help for me to warn about
whats the point of a FW
if you
> > open up big ranges of IP's .. This really needs
another scheme and this
stuff
> > to be allowed and run in the DMZ .. but ..
> >

> The safety of opening a port range rests solely with
how the host to which
> they are forwarded treats those ports. If the only
thing that binds to
> those local port numbers is the asterisk server then
the safety is totally
> dependent on how will that server is written. This
is the same as any
> internet server in my view...

i agree with Tom. But what other option we hv here.
Not only asterisk, i
believe there are many other server/services where we
need to open a range
of ports.

-B